What is lifestyle medicine?
Lifestyle Medicine is the use of lifestyle interventions in the treatment and management of disease. In our clinic, we utilize a scientifically researched model called FirstLine Therapy®.
Why FirstLine Therapy?
FirstLine Therapy (FLT) is a specialized therapeutic lifestyle change program unlike any other in that the FLT system targets the underlying causes of chronic illnesses by incorporating a sensible eating plan, exercise, nutritional supplementation, and stress management. In fact, the following key characteristics are unique to the FLT program:
- FLT is not just a weight loss program. Most programs are focused on weight while FLT is best used as a first line treatment for common, chronic health problems (e.g., high cholesterol, insulin resistance, unhealthy body composition).
- The FLT eating plan is different. Most programs are focused on low fat diets while FLT emphasizes the importance of a low-glycemic eating plan that is consistent with current research.
- FLT incorporates medical foods and nutritional supplements. The appropriate use of medical foods and supplements enhances program effectiveness and shortens the time it takes for you to achieve risk reduction goals.
- FLT has been demonstrated to be effective in human clinical studies. Most programs lack clinical evidence of effectiveness
Who can benefit from a therapeutic lifestyle change program?
Chances are that if you are reading this, you probably could benefit in some way, shape, or form. Extensive scientific research demonstrates that many of the chronic diseases associated with aging can be prevented or even treated by adopting a healthy lifestyle:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Metabolic syndrome
This is also recommended by leading health organizations as a first-line treatment option for the following:
- Stress-related disorders
- Chronic inflammatory disorders
- Fatigue disorders
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Prostate problems
- Conditions related to overweight and obesity
How long does it take and how do I get started?
Our program is geared to give you the necessary tools to make this a lifelong, sustainable lifestyle. Our program runs over the course of 3 months, where you will get access to body composition testing, consultations, simple eating guidelines, solutions for staying active, progress tracking and nutritional product recommendations. We will be available if continued coaching and modifications are needed as well. To schedule with Taylor Wessel, our lifestyle education director, you can either schedule your initial consultation online, or call the office at 847-232-9800 to get started.